Friday, January 27, 2012

Hodge and Podge

As explained in Nothing Unreal Exists, I lack a certain confidence in the realness of reality. I do not know the reasons for this, but a few experiences in my childhood definitely reinforced that doubt. This is one of the more bizarre ones.

Six years old, I woke with my face pressed against the straw mat upon which I had taken my afternoon nap. I saw something translucent and huge, taking up most of my visual field (though I could see through it). Its complexity and dynamism led the eye constantly, so that I could not focus on any part of it.

The Hodge-Podge.
It was not any thing that I could (or can) identify, but it looked like chaos and decay. My six-year-old mind compared it to the rotting corpse of a sparrow I had recently found while digging in my grandmother's flower trough. The vision grew more and more intense and menacing. Then, it changed.

A similarly translucent, equally indescribable vision of order and stasis replaced it. Its smooth perfection proved felt as monstrous as what came before. My eyes could find no purchase on its featureless...featurelessness. As a child, I compared it to an ornament belonging to my mother--a wooden bird meticulously covered with pure white feathers, lifeless and unyielding.

Just when the vision of order grew unbearably intense, it changed back into chaos, then to order, and so on. It kept flip-flopping faster and faster, which produced an odd sensation of involuntary movement, like free-falling without direction. Then, it just stopped.

I do not remember what I thought at the time, once the terror left me. When it recurred a few months later, however, I grew anxious. I decided that there was something wrong with me--probably a malignant brain tumor. When my grandmother and parents dismissed my concerns and other symptoms failed to manifest, I gradually forgot about the incident.

Every few years, it would happen again. Sometimes it comes while I lie in bed trying to sleep or wake, but I also experience it while meditating or just sitting quietly. I can discern no warning signs, but always recognize it when it starts--sometimes with one vision, sometimes with the other. Though objectively I know it never lasts more than five minutes, the hallucination suspends my perception of time and feels unsettlingly eternal.

I have tried to explain it away or attribute meaning to it, but nothing seems to stick. If a hypnogogic or hynopompic hallucination, why does it happen while I am wide awake? Did I accidentally ingest some mind-altering substance? Just as the vision defies description, so it defies my other attempts to make it fit into my worldview of the moment.

5 comments:

  1. OHMYGOD I cannot believe you wrote about this. I had similar experiences around the same age and I would call them "rough and smooth dreams" because I didn't know how else to classify them. There would be intense chaos and struggle and I would feel knotted and tied and extremely upset and then suddenly there'd be the abstract visual sense of smoothness and peace and they would switch off just like you said. My sister had them too and she was the only one I could share them with before. I never knew how to classify it or why they came, though sometimes I had them when I was running a fever (I remember that much). THIS IS SO BIZARRE, we have to talk. I wonder if anyone else has experienced it? -Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remarkable! I felt a bit hesitant to write about this at first, but now I am glad that I did. If three people out of seven billion have had these experiences, it seems likely that others have, as well. Up until now, only my family and a few close friends knew about this, and none of whom had ever heard of anything else like it. Does it still happen to you now?

      Delete
  2. I had one during a bout of flu not that long ago, but it doesn't happen like it did when I was a kid. And I'd gone for a long time before without having (or maybe just not remembering) it. I am so glad you wrote about this! Can't wait to see you again and talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey, this is so weird. My sister and I used to have the exact same dreams as children too. The "Tight and Tangly", "Wide and Smooth". The two were complete opposite themes and yet always occurred as a pair. They were a kind of beige colour. "Wide and Smooth" was monotone and calm, but then after a while it would get too big somehow. Then the theme would suddenly switch to "Tight and tangly" which just looked like a jumble of knotted ropes, getting more and more tangled. This was a noisy, unsettling dream and quite suffocating. I wonder what it all means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I have actually tried to find information about this in the past, with little success. Granted, I have a hard time describing the experience, which surely does not help. Still! To have found two others who have experienced this, just through the modest exposure of my personal blog, makes me want to do more research on it.

      Delete