Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Beards, Beer, and Bacon

I went to MAGFest this past weekend with my partner. We were both sick (apologies to anyone who contracted MAGflu from us), but had a blast nevertheless. MAGFest was distinct from most other conventions I have attended in recent memory in several ways: it was one of the smallest, most focused (in subject matter, i.e. gaming), and most heavily male-dominated (probably due to above-mentioned subject matter).

Me and River, in kilts.
You can observe all kinds of interesting phenomena at a con with a higher sex ratio than the People's Republic of China. Among other things, I found the sheer amount of facial hair startling.

I do not have much of an opinion about beards in and of themselves. Even if I did, I would stay clean-shaven, as my facial hair looks pretty tragic when allowed to grow out.

However, the popularity of beards seems to coincide with a new cult of masculinity, a reaction against the 'metrosexuality' of the 1990s. Perhaps every generation finds its own arbitrary standards of manliness, but really, how did we wind up with beards, beer, and bacon?

These standards of masculinity (short hair, preferring the color blue, interest in sports) or femininity (shaved legs, preferring the color pink, interest in...whatever adult women are 'supposed' to like--cooking?) are typically enforced by peers in a process sometimes called 'gender policing'.

As an effeminate guy, I have come to regard with vague distrust any fashion that gets too closely tied to societal expectations about gender. In fairness, I have not yet heard anyone level a charge of sissiness at a man for lack of facial hair. This frankly surprises me, given that a beard (as a male secondary sex characteristic) seems more intuitively masculine than, say, pants. Maybe it has something to do with the company I keep.

At the last Dragon*Con, someone heckled me for wearing a UtiliKilt, referring to it as a skirt in a jeering manner. Before I could give the repartee I learned from Eddie Izzard, the rest of the room shouted him down with a roar of "It's a kilt!"

On the one hand, I felt very encouraged by the intent of my defenders--they found that man's gender policing unacceptable and told him as much. However, the way in which they chose to respond suggested that A) they did not consider a kilt a type of skirt (in what way is it not a skirt?), and B) they did consider a charge of skirt-wearing for a man to be an insult.

I prefer to question the underlying assumptions: what is wrong with a man wearing a skirt? Why do you consider bacon a manlier food than tempeh? How does my interest in this particular band have anything to do with my sexual orientation? It tends to bring the gender police up short, because they expect either anger or submission, not discourse. Better yet, it might make someone think.

2 comments:

  1. Beards always face a tradeoff: practicality vs. style. In a highly regimented militarized society, or a society with a high premium on confomrity, beards are going to be at a disadvantage. Not everyone can grow the same style beard, so allowing them causes people to look different. Everyone can be clean shaven. Beards also can require more maintainance than being clean shaven, espeically if you are willing to tolerate a few days' stubble.

    I think gender policing stems from a distaste for androgeny. I know that it personally bugs me when I can't figure out which sex a person is. I imagine that at least some others feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point re beards and militarization--at the very least it seems to somewhat match trends in the 20th century. Ditto for short (head) hair, actually.

      The mere idea of distaste for androgeny blew my mind at first, since I find it attractive. However, I cannot consider my preferences in that area representative of the majority.

      In fact, it is probably adaptive to shun androgeny because it can be indicative of infertility (due to youth, malnutrition, etc.), or pose the danger of investing energy in a mate of the 'wrong' sex.

      On a more practical note, though: if it bugs you when you cannot place a person's gender, why not ask? Would it bother you if they answered 'neither' or 'both'? Because if not, then you do not so much dislike androgeny as not knowing something normally apparent at a glance.

      Delete