Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fancy Dress Fancy

I could probably go to work dressed like
 this every single day if I felt so inclined
The first time I attended a sci-fi convention, I wore a Star Trek: The Next Generation uniform (season one, blue). Unfortunately, the smallest size it came in was 'Medium', which fit me like a potato sack on a scarecrow. I painstakingly modified it by hand, but it just never really looked right.

I have grown wiser in my costuming choices since then. I know, for example, that almost nobody looks good in a TNG season one uniform. Still, hunting for off-the-shelf clothing items that fit me remains a laborious task. All of my efforts to use a sewing machine have ended with a broken needle and/or a huge wad of thread where the seam should be

With a larger budget came the option of having clothes tailored to my diminutive frame. When my mother took a sudden and unexpected interest in sewing, I gently nudged her toward making costume pieces for me. I own some incredibly screen-accurate and comfortable Old Republic Jedi robes thanks to her.

From attending conventions regularly, I know that many costumers take their hobby far more seriously than I do. Though I often obsess over the details of my outfits, I rarely push myself out of my comfort zone to attempt a full-body Xenomorph suit or anything like that.

I still need to get rank insignia and such
My current Dragon*Con costume project is Felix Gaeta from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. I also have a notion to dress as a human version of Rainbow Dash along with several friends are planning to go as a group of characters from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Oh, and I may assemble a Saotome Alto (Macross Frontier) cosplay to match a friend's Ranka Lee.

Aside from more 'serious' costuming like that discussed above, though, I also enjoy wearing garb (historically inspired clothing common at Renaissance faires), drag, and unusual outfits in general. I proudly acknowledge my Utilikilts as a variety of skirt, to the horror of other men. I wear hats in all seasons and have a particular love for broad brimmed pinch-front Stetsons. My winter coat is patterned after one worn by Jack Harkness (of Dr Who and Torchwood fame).

As an introvert, I tend to feel uncomfortable when under too much scrutiny, so it seems odd for me to dress in a way that draws attention to myself. Were I more outgoing, I would probably wear bizarre clothes constantly. If not attention, though, what do I get out of dressing up?

I imagine it has something to do with why I like roleplaying. Roleplaying and costuming both give physical manifestations to that inner universe, which I cherish in equal measure the outer one (see Nothing Unreal Exists for my views on reality vs. fiction). Or maybe I just get tired of 'everyday' clothes like most people do, but feel no attraction to conventionally fashionable 'going out' clothes. Either way, I cannot wait to wear my new purple wig.

No comments:

Post a Comment